Ways To Break Your Best Fly Rod
You may have heard stories about people breaking their best
fly rod. There are of course many creative methods being used. Here is a short list
of the more common methods. As you can see from the list, most broken rods are
due to angler errors and not to defective manufacturing.
The most common break is at the rod tip.
- When fighting a big fish, high-stick the rod (holding it
vertical). This will bend the rod in the shape of a candy cane and break the
tip almost every time. This is easy to do if you are in a boat and the fish
swims under you. A net will help by increasing your reach when landing a large
- Some tips are broken when the angler threads the line
through the guides. They thread the bottom guides, and then bend the end
section to finish feeding the line through the guides. This stresses the rod
tip. Not a good way to start the day.
- You can break it while trying to yank a fly off a log or
- If you add leverage and control to the rod by bringing your second hand up the rod you will break the tip off. This is tempting when fighting a big trout. This reduces the strength of the rod and the energy is no longer dispersed over its length. The weaker top section has to absorb most of the stress.
Other Ways To Break Your Best Fly Rod
Any shock to the rod will cause a delaminating in the
graphite and the rod will eventually break.
and rough handling in the back of a pickup is a very good way to break a
rod being hit by a heavy fly or a beadhead nymph. The fly can be going
almost 200 miles an hour on impact. This spot can fail on a later fishing
trip. Work on your casting skills.
your rod against the side of your car while you are gearing up is another
great way to get it broken.
on in a boat. What can I say? Stow your rods.
the ferrules that are not properly seated. This is a very good way to
break a fly rod, and it happens often. The ferrules will come loose or
twist during casting and you should check them often.
- Inattention; fly rods are often slammed in car doors or snapped in power windows.
Some warranties cover breakage, but others only cover
workmanship or defective materials. Whatever the case, breaking your best fly rod on a
fishing trip can put a sour note on the day. Do yourself a favor and keep your
fly rod in its tube when not in use, work on your casting skills and pay
I admit that may be easier said than done if you just hooked
the biggest fish of your life.
Return to Best Fly Rod from Ways To Break A Fly Rod
Return to Fly