Fly Fishing Basics: The Float Tube
Float tubes consist of an air bladder that is covered with a
Some look like a doughnut and some are a U shape.
fisher usually wears stocking foot waders to stay dry and maneuvers about using
They are basically a floating chair and are designed for still water
Let's look at its advantages and disadvantages.
I would like to thank Ken Evoy and the staff at SBI for giving me the tools to build this site.
are very lightweight and portable. This allows a solo fly fisher to access
areas in a lake or backcountry waters that a bank fisher just cannot get
are very affordable, a lot less than most fly fishing boats.
require less setup time than a pontoon boat (although not by much).
work very well in small lakes and ponds.
pontoon-style tube can be fairly easy to maneuver.
have storage compartments near each arm.
- It should not be used on a river, especially if the water is
moving at all. This can be really dangerous.
larger lakes, winds can blow you around, although if you stayed on the
edges of the lake you may be OK. A pontoon boat would be a better choice
on large lakes.
is hard to cover a lot of water in one.
you are thinking of packing one into the backcountry remember
that the water may be cold. Your waders and fins will add extra weight. By
the time you get there you may be too tired to fish.
round tube can be harder to maneuver and has more drag.
are subject to punctures. Wear a life jacket.
it about the lake is a workout (OK, maybe this should be up in the
Features to Watch For When Buying a Float Tube
- Available storage. Most have some storage but others have large pockets and room behind the seat.
- A tough outer shell that is puncture-resistant and an inner shell that is urethane. The vinyl bladders are not as durable. Some tubes will have a urethane-coated vinyl, which is lighter but still not as durable.
- Pay attention to the weight limits of the tube, and remember to add the weight of your gear.
- Adjustable and inflatable seats. Both features can add to your comfort level.
- High-quality valves that also allow you to change the air pressure while on the water.
Save 50% on Fly Assortment Boxes for Trout